Chelsea Humphrey's Reviews > Saint X

Saint X by Alexis Schaitkin

47207032

bookshelves: from-publisher, audiobooks, netgalley, bookstagram-made-me-do-it
Recommended to Chelsea by: Celadon Books

"That night, Claire is awakened by the sound of a key rattling in the lock. As she surfaces from dreams, she watches the door to the hotel room open. Her sister tiptoes across the room and slides into bed. In the morning Claire wakes at dawn to find her sister's bed empty. She is on the balcony, her eyes fixed on something in the distance. It seems her sister is hardly sleeping at all."

The problem with reading a book and putting off writing the review for weeks is that the small details begin to fade, but Saint X is the type of read that requires deep thought and pondering before discussing. I'm still not sure I can do a review of this book justice, as it is so many aspects put into one cohesive timeline. Part true crime style mystery, part delayed coming of age, Saint X provides a suspenseful investigation coupled with self discovery of the protagonist.

This was an eye-opening glance at how deep the ties between race and privilege run. The author did a fantastic job of creating a unique narrative while touching on themes as old as time, and bringing attention to just how far America, and us privileged folks in general, needs to progress. The pacing is very slow and detailed, which works well for this type of story, but is told in such a riveting voice. This isn't a thriller per se, but it does take on a few of the qualities that fans of psychological suspense find appealing. If you're interested in other recent literary fiction novels featuring social justice discussions, please consider giving your time to this worthy story as well.

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saint X.

May 28, 2019 – Shelved
December 17, 2019 – Started Reading
December 19, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

Nancy McFarlane Hope you love it as much as i did.

Chelsea Humphrey Nancy wrote: "Hope you love it as much as i did."

Thanks, Nancy! Excited to see 5 stars from you on this one!

Michelle I just got approved for this one! Woot! Celadon is becoming a favorite publisher of mine. 😊

Chelsea Humphrey Michelle wrote: "I just got approved for this one! Woot! Celadon is becoming a favorite publisher of mine. 😊"

Hooray! Aren't they fantastic?

Celadon Books Somehow missed this comment. Blushing here. So glad you are loving our list. And can't wait to hear what you think of this amazing debut.

Chelsea Humphrey Celadon wrote: "Somehow missed this comment. Blushing here. So glad you are loving our list. And can't wait to hear what you think of this amazing debut."

Thank you! <3

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling That cover 😍😍😍😍

Chelsea Humphrey Aoife wrote: "That cover 😍😍😍😍"

Absolutely stunning!

Nicole (litandlaurel) Can't wait to read your thoughts on this one! I'm super excited to have received an arc!

Chelsea Humphrey Nicole M. wrote: "Can't wait to read your thoughts on this one! I'm super excited to have received an arc!"

Thanks, Nicole. I hope you enjoy this one as well!

message 11: by sue (new)

sue Loving your review

Chelsea Humphrey sue wrote: "Loving your review"

Thanks, doll! XO

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Can't wait for the full review, Chelsea! Glad you enjoyed x

Chelsea Humphrey Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ wrote: "Can't wait for the full review, Chelsea! Glad you enjoyed x"

Thank you so much, love! Now if I could just get my rear in gear and get some reviews churned out! Lol

Susanne  Strong Fab review Chels! I have this one to read also and can’t wait. Of course, American Dirt is on my list!

Chelsea Humphrey Susanne wrote: "Fab review Chels! I have this one to read also and can’t wait. Of course, American Dirt is on my list!"

Thank you so much! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on both!

message 17: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna Great review!!!

Chelsea Humphrey Deanna wrote: "Great review!!!"

Thanks, De!

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda So I was with you until you said if you liked American Dirt... Does this have the same problems? I was heartened by the positive review in the NYT by a Nigerian-UK writer and my stomach just dropped reading this. Off to see if other reviews clue me in.

Chelsea Humphrey Amanda wrote: "So I was with you until you said if you liked American Dirt... Does this have the same problems? I was heartened by the positive review in the NYT by a Nigerian-UK writer and my stomach just droppe..."

Hey Amanda! Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Awhile back, I deleted my review/endorsement of American Dirt and publicly apologized for any promotions I had supported, and somehow forgot to come back and edit this review. This book in no ways had the issues that American Dirt did, and I hope that my fumble won’t cause you to miss out on this well written narrative. My apologies again!