C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: The Apocalypse Suite

The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1 by Gerard Way

bookshelves: graphic-novel, read-2019

yes I am one of those turning up here to the cry of "...bECAUSE I WATCHED THE NEFLIX SHOW I--" Hm, hi, it's me. And now I officially have so many questions about the show. The first being, did Mr. Netflix read the comics or...? I'm guessing no.

now the show, i liked, but i had a lot of issues with it. Mainly lack of plot and how s l o w it was. The comic on the other hand 😳it's utterly absurdism, which I didn't expect, because the show was more about damaged adults working through suppressed emotions. But like the comic has a bizarre group of orchestral madman trying to start the apocalypse. There's no backstory, no depth. Everyone is white (lol at least the show helped there) and their powers are barely covered. Rumour just up and mind controls Spaceboy to kiss her, aka nonconsensual incest. Vanya is straight up naked on the front cover. And the last few pages were so weird I'm still like 🤨The art style wasn't for me, either.

the only thing I liked (lol) was Number 5 and Pogo's relationship, which was more of a feature here than in the show.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1.

May 27, 2019 – Started Reading