Amalie 's Reviews > Désirée

Désirée by Annemarie Selinko

Feb 25, 2012

bookshelves: historical-fiction, world-literature
Read from February 25 to March 08, 2012

I got this book from the library for my mother who enjoys these historical romance novels but I also ended up reading it. For those of you who can read German, it's better to check out the original version of the book, though I have no complains about this translation, I'm sure that is even better.

This is written in diary format from Désirée's (Bernardine Eugénie Désirée Clary, who later becomes the Queen of Sweden and Norway) POV.
Here's a picture of her:

She is one-time fiancée of Napoleon Bonaparte who he dumps for Josephine. One should not think this is the story of Napoleon Bonaparte, this is very much her story. It gives the reader an inside glimpse at the young Napoleon and his family, his days as the Emperor and on to his final defeat at Waterloo.

From what I understood Napoleon choose Josephine over her is because of wealth but he continues to have a strong bond with her. And I just noticed how these dictatorial men don't seemed to have had a love life: Hitler, Napoleon, Lord Voldemort... I think if he had married Désirée there might never would have been a French Revolution! Then the wars, invasions... the bad stuff BUT THEN, the great books like Les Misérables and War and Peace would have never been born. Bummer! Irony! Irony! ;P

This is really a novel that is likely to be enjoyed more by female readers. There are certain places melodramatic but then you learn they really happened, I wonder perhaps little exaggerated? For an example: (view spoiler) And you thought these things happen only in romance novels!!

*Recommended for historical fiction lovers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Désirée.

02/25 page 40