LORI CASWELL's Reviews > Something Borrowed, Something Mewed

Something Borrowed, Something Mewed by Bethany Blake

bookshelves: read-2019

Dollycas’s Thoughts

Piper and Roger are getting married in the most over the top ceremony ever! An Independence Day theme complete with Statue of Liberty bridesmaids dresses, all thanks to the mothers of the bride and groom taking control. Too bad they couldn’t control keeping the pushy wedding planner alive. Abigail Sinclair is dead, dead, dead, floating in the fountain and it appears that the murder weapon was a borrowed blue garter.

Now maid of honor Daphne takes on getting her sister wed before Roger leaves the country and finding a killer since Roger seems to be at the top of the suspect list. Will the nuptials take place? They sure will! Even if Daphne has to shoot off a few fireworks of her own.

Daphne Templeton, her lovable basset hound Socrates, and her prickly Persian cat Tinkleston return in this delightful cozy mystery penned by Bethany Blake. Boyfriend Detective Jonathan Black is away on assignment working with an NCIS team in California but has promised to return to take part in the wedding. Daphne’s sister Piper is caught up in all the wedding drama as is Roger who hasn’t been a fan of wedding planner Abigail Sinclair since his mother and Piper’s hired her. Jonathan’s Chocolate Labrador, Axis, Chihuahua, Artie, along with Daphne’s best friend Moxie Bloom and her pet white rat named Sebastian also return. All the characters are well-developed and feel like old friends.

Ms. Blake wraps these wonderful characters in a mystery that kept me guessing right up until the end. Abigail Sinclair ticked off plenty of people, especially with her latest fiasco so it is not surprising someone wanted to take her down. She had a grand plan until someone nixed it permanently. I enjoyed each and every twist thrown in Daphne’s path and was utterly astounded when we reached the big whodunit reveal. The author brought in some elements from the past in an interesting way that played a big part.

Romance took a larger role in this installment, I mean it did include a wedding, but it was more than that. I can’t say more to avoid spoilers but the ending left me smiling ear to ear.

Fabulous characters, awesome pets, and a marvelous mystery! Bethany Blake takes readers on a Perfect Escape! Something Borrowed, Something Mewed is fun and entertaining, and a great way to spend a couple of evenings. I can’t wait to return to Sylvan Creek!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Borrowed, Something Mewed.

May 27, 2019 – Started Reading