Holly Kench's Reviews > Vampire Academy

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Feb 24, 2012

bookshelves: reviewed

The Vampire Academy Series is one of my all time favourite YA reads.

The series follows Rose, a genuinely kick-ass protagonist, through her education at a school for Vampires (I know, this does sound moderately lame, especially considering the series' title, but trust me, it's really not!).

The background lore of the tale is somewhat convoluted and unnecessary, since all you really need to know is that there are good vampires (Moroi - ruling class), bad vampires (Strigoi - they kill people and bad stuff like that), half vampires (Dhampir - they look after the good vampires - my goodness, I wonder if there will be class divide storyline?!) and also humans (they don't get much of a look in, except when they get eaten occasionally). See... yeah, even summed up it just seems a bit overly complex, so let's move right along.

Rose, a half vampire, is in training to be a guardian (basically a body-guard), but in the meantime, she finds herself uncovering secrets, solving mysteries and, more often than not, saving her best friend Lissa. Lissa, a good vampire, is a little pathetic, but she keeps Rose on the path of good, in more ways than one. *ominous music*

Of course, the series is also filled with the grand romance, heartbreak and forever-love that can only exist in the world of teen-angst. I'm a particular fan on the Rose-Dimitri love-drama (!!), but, for those interested, VA is also open to some seriously queer reading (Ah! The subtext... that's not so sub-textual).

If you like YA paranormal novels, especially those which manage to maintain a decent romance without diminishing the independence and personalities of their heroines, then you should read Vampire Academy - yes you should!

I'm about to start the offshoot series, "Bloodlines", and I'm excited! :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampire Academy.