Basma's Reviews > Motherhood So White: A Memoir of Race, Gender, and Parenting in America

Motherhood So White by Nefertiti Austin

bookshelves: memoir, non-fiction, race-ethnicity

When I first saw the title I immediately requested an advanced copy because I realized out of all the books I read that deal with motherhood in any way; the experience of being a mother, of not being a mother, of choosing to be childfree, of choosing adoption..etc, non of the ones I read or the ones I am able to find and access as easily are written by Black or Brown women. I hope this books gets as hyped as the rest of the motherhood books because it deserves it.

This book is about Nefertiti Austin's journey to being a single mother adopting first a black boy from the foster system and later adopting a little girl. There's so much about Nefertiti's story, her experience, her upbringing and her support system that is so different from all the ones I read previously and I can see how important this is as a resource. It was interesting and informative. Nefertiti explains how when she was going through the process herself she barely found books or resources to fall back on and had to rely on her community and if she did find any it was 1-2 books and they still didn't cover the process she was going through exactly.

There is so much to unpick from this book from the stories of single mothers, single black mothers, the foster system, the crack baby stereotypes, the school system, literature and the intersection of being black and a woman and what that entails within the black community.

The introduction of this book was powerful. How can you teach a young kid about racism and police brutality and finding a balance between making him aware but not scaring him too much? How can you teach a young kid that wearing your hood is seen as a form of danger or that people will never believe you're as young as you say you are? It's scary and I can't image what that is like. Black and brown kids are getting taught what prejudice is, what systematic racism and privilege is from a very young age and that's scary but also very very important considering the current political climate.

We all view parenting differently or could have different experiences and whether or not you are on board with how certain aspects are being handled or certain points of view, I think reading from different voices is vital.

(I received a free e-book copy of this title from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Motherhood So White.

Started Reading