Julie's Reviews > Death at La Fenice

Death at La Fenice by Donna Leon

bookshelves: kindle-lending-library, mystery-shelf, 2019, e-book

Death at La Fenice by Donna Leon is a 2012 Grove Press publication. (Originally published in 1992)

Slightly dated, but oh the Venetian scenery!!

This is the first book in the long running Commissario Brunetti series. I’ve been curious about Donna Leon for ages but have never gotten around to sampling any of her work. This book is available in the Kindle Unlimited program, at the moment, giving me a great excuse to finally see for myself why this series has endured.

When a world- renowned musical conductor is poisoned during intermission at the famed La Fenice opera house, it sends shock waves through Venice. Naturally, the police are under tremendous pressure to find the killer. Guido Brunetti is definitely the right man for the job, but he refuses to allow his boss or the press to force him into doing a rush job with the investigation.

As it happens the conductor was not loved by everyone in his orchestra, or even by those closest to him, which means the suspect list is lengthy and Brunetti will have to go through a tedious process of elimination. As Brunetti investigates, the Venetian architecture, and scenery is described in glorious detail.

Although the story shows its age in some ways, I found the mystery to be a solid whodunit and the characters, especially Brunetti and his wife, quite intriguing. Naturally, as one can guess, I really loved the Italian setting and the author’s descriptions of Venice, which gave the story a unique atmosphere.

I may not read this series in exact order, but I do plan on adding more Brunetti mysteries into my TBR list!

Overall, a nice introduction to Donna Leon and the Commissario Brunetti series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death at La Fenice.

May 26, 2019 – Shelved
May 26, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
August 17, 2019 – Shelved as: kindle-lending-library
August 18, 2019 – Shelved as: mystery-shelf
September 14, 2019 – Started Reading
September 14, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019
September 14, 2019 – Shelved as: e-book
October 2, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

message 1: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Excellent review Julie! I’ve always been curious about this author too!🤗💖

Antoinette Terrific review, Julie! I started this series ages ago and meant to continue, but haven’t found the time:(

Julie Kaceey wrote: "Excellent review Julie! I’ve always been curious about this author too!🤗💖"

Thank you, Kaceey!! I had no idea what to expect, but I think I'm going to like the series! 💖

Julie Antoinette wrote: "Terrific review, Julie! I started this series ages ago and meant to continue, but haven’t found the time:("

Thank you, Antoinette!! There are so many installments in this series! I'll probably skip around a little, because I don't have time to read all of them either. I'm sure they are all good mysteries though. 💖

Julie Brenda -Traveling Sister host of The Traveling Friends wrote: "Great review, Julie!"

Thank you so much, Brenda!! 💖

Babydimps (Suzy) Terrific review Julie! 🌸

Julie Babydimps (Suzy) wrote: "Terrific review Julie! 🌸"

Thank you very much, Suzy!! 💖

message 9: by Ceecee (new)

Ceecee Great review Julie - I’ve read some Donna Leon books but I’m blowed if I can remember which ones now it was so long ago!! I do know I liked them 😂🤗

Julie Thank you, Ceecee!! There's something like twenty-eight installments in the series, so I can see why it would be hard to recall which ones you had read, especially since most of these were published prior to GR's. 😁😁💖

message 11: by Richard (new)

Richard An excellent review Julie ......... I read some of these books a few years ago. An enjoyable series about a beautiful city!

message 12: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Ah! Great review Julie . Venice is my favourite city ever 😊 and I’ve just finished a book set in and around Venice called The Abduction by Jonathan Holt.

Julie Richard wrote: "An excellent review Julie ......... I read some of these books a few years ago. An enjoyable series about a beautiful city!"

Thank you, Richard!! 😊😊

Julie Sandra wrote: "Ah! Great review Julie . Venice is my favourite city ever 😊 and I’ve just finished a book set in and around Venice called The Abduction by Jonathan Holt."

Thank you, Sandra!! I'll have to add 'The Abduction' to my reading list! 💖

message 15: by RedemptionDenied (new)

RedemptionDenied Excellent review, Julie!

Julie RedemptionDenied wrote: "Excellent review, Julie!"

Thank you, RD!! 😊😊

message 17: by Candi (new) - added it

Candi Terrific review, Julie! I have had this one on my kindle for a long time. I'm happy to see that you found it a worthwhile read :)

Julie Candi wrote: "Terrific review, Julie! I have had this one on my kindle for a long time. I'm happy to see that you found it a worthwhile read :)"

Thank you, Candi!! It shows its age, just a little. But otherwise it's a terrific mystery. I loaded up my Kindle with more of DL's books in KU program. 💖