C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Princess Saves Herself in This One

The Princess Saves Herself in This One by Amanda Lovelace

bookshelves: poetry, read-2019

i did really like this one! i found it on a list of suggestions after finishing a Rupi Kaur poetry collection and thought: "yes yes i have always wanted to try her books too". so apparently i read poetry now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ i'm not sad!! it makes me want to write beautiful turns of phrase in my own work.

i do really love the style of this, the freeverse, and how she says "poetry is whatever you want it to be". totally felt that in her lines! and there is so much grief in the first pages, it was pure sorrow, but i loved that she rebuilt herself. also messages of being proud in yourself? of smashing mirrors. of love of anyone who identifies as a woman. of being folded into pages of books and bleeding with the ink as they save you from mental illness? i love it.

(it was also interesting reading the reviews of this. they went from "5stars i couldn't love this more and connected with it" straight to "1star this isn't poetry". i get not connecting with it!! but i don't understand how we have the right to police what is/isn't poetry.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Princess Saves Herself in This One.

May 26, 2019 – Shelved
May 26, 2019 – Shelved as: poetry
May 26, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019
May 27, 2019 – Started Reading
May 27, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Charley I love seeing you fall in love with poetry! Honestly, I feel like poetry always gets a bad rep because people are taught poetry in such strict terms. Poetry can literally be anything and everything. I know poets who write in prose first and then break it down to flow more evenly. There are plenty of poets who write with punctuation and everything. Others don't, and that's okay, too! <3