Erin's Reviews > Renia's Diary: A Holocaust Journal

Renia's Diary by Renia Spiegel

liked it
bookshelves: kindle, netgalley

Thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for a digital galley in exchange for an honest review.

Well, I have been sitting on my review and rating for this book all weekend. Often my fellow reviewers of Holocaust non fiction have commented how difficult it is to rate a person's life story. In reading Renia's Diary:A Holocaust Diary I do find myself struggling to articulate my feelings on this diary.

Renia Spiegel's story is important and relevant and her sister's determination to share her diary with the reading world is incredibly important and shows great love and courage. I truly believe that the most important parts of this book is for the reader to turn to the afterword and then read the diary. It's actually what finally made my decision to put this as a 3 star rating.

The diary spans from 1939 to 1942 and tells the young Polish girl's story from adolescent crushes to the Nazi and Soviet Occupations. The most heartbreaking moments are when Renia talks about the separation from her mother and her fears as the ghetto in Przemysl is created. Like Anne Frank, Renia's young vibrant voice would be one of many silenced by the Holocaust. In fact, Renia's diary would remain unknown for many years.

As a reader, I did find some of Renia's accounts about school mates and her love life a bit uninteresting. But I am a 37 year old English teacher, my students on the other hand would totally connect to Renia. So don't let that dissuade you from picking it up and giving it a chance.

Goodreads review published 09/06/19
Publication Date 24/09/19

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Renia's Diary.

May 26, 2019 – Started Reading
May 26, 2019 – Shelved
May 26, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley
May 26, 2019 – Shelved as: kindle
June 7, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by sue (new)

sue Totally agree. Very difficult to rate a book such as this. I too find that the worse part

Erin sue wrote: "Totally agree. Very difficult to rate a book such as this. I too find that the worse part"

Thanks, Sue! I am glad to know that another reviewer finds it difficult especially when it is such a heartbreaking story.