Julie (jjmachshev)'s Reviews > Destiny Kills

Destiny Kills by Keri Arthur

Jul 26, 2008

bookshelves: 2008-reads
Read in November, 2008

I liked "Destiny Kills". If nothing else, it was nice to read about a female dragon with powers of her own!

Destiny is half air dragon and half water dragon. Of course, she doesn't know this when she awakens, in pain and bleeding, beside a dead man on the shore of an ocean, somewhere. She doesn't remember her name or the name of the dead man or how they got where they are. All she does know is that she's in trouble and there's something urgent she needs to do...if she could only remember what and why.

Trae is a draman, half air dragon half human. As a halfbreed in his father's clique (clan), he's considered 'less'. So as soon as he could, he got out. Now he's a thief and a rogue. When he sees the gorgeous woman standing in the middle of the road, he just can't resist. It turns out she's the reason his half-brother asked for his help. His apparently dead half-brother who died on the beach beside this woman, his Destiny.

This story is not a hearts and flowers one. It's a story of monsters, some of which are human. A wacko scientist has been capturing, holding, and experimenting on dragons. Destiny and Trae's brother managed to escape after eleven years, but Destiny's mother and several child air dragons are still in captivity. This is the story of Destiny and Trae's race to free those captives. It's also about magic, love, hatred, privilege, and jealousy.

I'm guessing that Keri Arthur used this book partially to set up more books in this world. There was quite a bit of information that wasn't really needed for this story, but would be for more in this world...if that makes sense. It didn't take away from my enjoyment of the story, but if that will bug you, you've been warned. Also this book is written in first person, so if you hate that, don't blame me cause I told you!

The sex is hot (and so is Trae). I would rate this about 50/50 for romance and fantasy. There's mild violence and death too. But now that I've gotten a glimpse of Arthur's world in "Destiny Kills", I want the next book...NOW.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Destiny Kills.

message 1: by Joe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joe I just finished this and your review was right on.

-Joe-

Julie (jjmachshev) Thanks...I'm looking forward to the next one!