Steph's Reviews > Dark Future

Dark Future by K.C. Klein

Feb 24, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: author-웃, recommended-2-me, stand-alone, sos-games-bsb-r9, year-read-2014

Dark Future's book blurb had me super excited for the story of aliens and Kris' Terminator-style time jump to save the human race.
"Awakened in the middle of the night by a future version of herself, Kris Davenport is given a mission; go forward in time to save the world and his life. Of course, her future self doesn't tell her who he is, just sends her into the abyss and straight into an alien invasion."
Sadly, as I read, I spanned the rainbow of feelings. What began as excitement, quickly switched to confusion, then frustration, onto freakish fascination, and finally ended with the dull thud of meh.

Again, I find myself in the minority with my lower rating. Much of the story's concept was a big hit for me. However, big parts, such as world-building and relationship development were greatly lacking. It was weird - in parts of the story the environment had a movie clarity to it while others left me completely confused. The relationship between Kris and ConRad, the "him" in future Kris' mission, felt odd and a bit forced. But, on the flip-side, secondary characters Quinn and Zimmion's attraction felt real and touching at times.

Huge potential, big disappointment (Rating: 2.5★). Part of me is glad this is a stand alone novel because, being a series addict, I know I'd feel compelled to read the second book. However, I'm kinda bummed because I would've liked to have seen if the second book was an improvement.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Future.

February 24, 2012 – Shelved
June 29, 2014 – Shelved as: sos-games-bsb-r9
June 29, 2014 –
July 1, 2014 – Finished Reading
July 2, 2014 –
100.0% "Rating: 2.5 stars - RTC"
July 2, 2014 – Shelved as: year-read-2014