Lindsay♫SingerOfStories♫'s Reviews > Girls with Sharp Sticks

Girls with Sharp Sticks by Suzanne Young

bookshelves: 2019-reads

Oh my gosh, Suzanne Young (author), what goes on in that mind of yours to make you write things like this??!!?? First The Treatment and now this! Just...wow. I kind of knew what I was getting myself into because both books were by the same author but then again, not really. I couldn't have predicted something like this!!

Real talk: the title of the book comes from a poem found under the bed of one of the girls at Innovations Academy who is taken away one day. Lennon Rose, they are told, has been having "money problems" back home and can no longer attend the school but after secretly stopping taking her prescribed "vitamins" at bedtime each night, our main character begins to think there may be something bigger going on. Mena shares Girls With Sharp Sticks with the other girls and the idea of men wanting power and girls/women as pretty objects...however, some of the prettiest flowers have the sharpest thorns.

I found the book to be a little slow in the beginning. I wasn't fully engaged until a little ways in but once things picked up, I couldn't put the book down. I love the boarding school setting, the bond between the girls, the near future/dystopian setting, and the echoes of familiarity to certain pop culture stories like Handmaid's Tale, West World, etc. Plus, I would be lax if I didn't mention the men and how perverse they are in this book. I can't go into the full depths of their awfulness without spoiling certain events. Content/trigger warnings for misogyny, body shaming, assault, PTSD, talk of infertility, murder.

The ending I liked (after I picked my jaw up off the floor because I was completely shocked and...just...whoa) and I was satisfied with but apparently there is going to be a second book! I have no idea where Suzanne will be going with it so we'll see what happens! I'm there for it though!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girls with Sharp Sticks.

May 20, 2019 – Started Reading
May 24, 2019 – Finished Reading
May 26, 2019 – Shelved
May 27, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-reads

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Sumit (new)

Sumit RK Superb Review!