Emily's Reviews > Wilder Girls

Wilder Girls by Rory Power

12065550

"I have always been heading here, haven't I, haven't I. Too bright and too bored and something missing, or perhaps something too much there."

Wilder Girls is Rory Power's debut novel, and I absolutely adored it. This book went in a different direction than I was expecting, and it totally worked for me. The writing is gorgeous, and the story is entertaining and creative. I was immediately invested, and it was so hard to put this book down.

This book reminded me a bit of the body horror of The Rust Maidens by Gwendolyn Kiste, which was one of my favorite books last year. The two books are still very different, but they have some similar themes of friendship, heartbreak, mystery, haunting horror, and they're both about girls coming of age.

There was some animal stuff I wasn't wild about, but the animals weren't pets. I could have done without some of it, but it wasn't too bad.

I got attached to the main characters pretty easily, and I was sad when the book ended. I definitely could have spent more time in this world with them. If you're looking for an awesome coming-of-age horror story that is actually focused on girls for once (and on queer girls especially), I highly recommend picking this one up!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wilder Girls.

May 26, 2019 – Shelved