Crystal Puckett's Reviews > A Tolkien Bestiary

A Tolkien Bestiary by David Day

Jul 26, 2008

bookshelves: own, art, fantasy

Although there are movies to give visuals, and tons of books about Tolkien's beloved fantasy world, the Tolkien Bestiary stands out to me. It is definitely worth reading. I really love the artwork in this book; no, it's not by Alan Lee or John Howe, but the art is beautiful in its own right and doesn't need to be compared to them. I like the way the creatures are drawn; a bit more "medieval" in style, which I think adds to the overall feel of a fantasy world. The illustration of the "Thousand Caves of Menegroth" I find as lovely as any painting of Lothlorien I ever saw. I bought it for that reason (the artwork) alone, but it's worth reading, too. A brief, but descriptive, history of events from the Silmarillion is included, as well as depictions (both in words and drawings) of the creatures in The Lord of the Rings and other Tolkien works. I've read nearly all of Tolkien's works repeatedly, and am very much a Tolkien enthusiast and "Lord of the Rings geek" and I think this book is wonderful!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Tolkien Bestiary.