Paul's Reviews > When the Soul Listens: Finding Rest and Direction in Contemplative Prayer

When the Soul Listens by Jan Johnson

bookshelves: prayer, spiritual-direction
Read 2 times. Last read February 24, 2012 to March 28, 2012.

This is the best book on contemplative prayer I've read. It's hard to imagine a better one to recommend to other Christians. It offers a clear, biblical justification for the listening, transformative kind of prayer that ought to be at the heart of every Christian's relationship with God. It's a very encouraging book, but it doesn't make exaggerated claims. It carefully distinguishes a Christ centered form of prayer from other similar forms of meditation and contemplation practiced in other religions. It offers very practical help to those who desire to pray in this way. It helps the reader know what to expect, and what not to expect, and gives personal examples of the kinds of things that might happen in praying this way without being formulaic.

I have lead and participated in Christian prayer meetings for many years and have gotten the impression that, for many Christians, prayer consists mainly of asking God to do things. Petitionary prayer certainly has its place (see Knocking on Heaven's Door: A New Testament Theology of Petitionary Prayer for an excellent biblical exposition), but if it becomes the center of our prayer life we easily fall into the attitude that God serves our own agenda. Contemplative prayer is a powerful check on this and it opens up a whole new world of possibilities for greater intimacy with God. It focuses more on finding God's own heart and desires and aligning ours with them. This is how we get closer to God. I recommend this book very highly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When the Soul Listens.

Finished Reading