AJ's Reviews > Ceifador X

Ceifador X by Demi Vice

liked it
bookshelves: arc, novella, dark-n-gritty, forbidden, series

3 stars

This novella is a part of the Prison Saints series. I absolutely loved the first book in this series (The Jack's Heart - previously titled Prison Promise), and have been so excited for more, so I was thrilled to learn that this novella would be the lead in to the next full-length book in the series, The Knight's Rose. It provides an introduction to the characters and their background, and set the scene for what is sure to be an emotional and intense read.

Bianca Di Vaio is the 15 year old daughter of a New York crime boss. Ill since birth, she is locked away in her father’s home with very little interaction from the outside world apart from those who care for her, and the occasional visit from her father.

Antonio Castillo works for Bianca’s father. Calling himself Ceifador X, he is a killer who lives in his boss’ basement, and his life is nothing but death, alcohol and anonymous sex with random women. But while drunkenly exploring the house one night, he comes across Bianca and even knowing it’s against the rules, he enters her room.

Bianca and Antonio’s meeting changes them both. From the first moment, Antonio can’t get the sickly girl out of his head, feeling all kinds of confusing thoughts towards her. And Bianca comes to crave his visits as her only link to the outside world, and to the darkly mysterious man who is the most ‘real’ person she’s ever met.

Feared like death. Worshipped like light.
He was my breath, and I was poisoned at first sight.

It’s twisted and a bit debauched (she is 15 and completely innocent and naive, he is a 28 alcoholic criminal man-slut), but they come to mean something to each other. Just what that is, I’m honestly confused. Their situation is so surreal, and the intensity of it all is extreme. I didn’t feel any kind of romance, more like curiosity and perhaps obsession? There’s also lust there which felt all kinds of in inappropriate given their ages and situation, and even though there is no sex, there’s definitely steamy goings on.

The ending is abrupt and provides clues to where the next book is going to go. I have so many questions, and I’m really curious what’s going to happen for these two. I’m definitely keen to read more.

An interesting beginning, but it’s done its job and hooked me!

3 stars.

An Advanced Review Copy was generously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ceifador X.

May 26, 2019 – Shelved