Bjørn's Reviews > The Coffee House Book

The Coffee House Book by Nicole Gilbertson

What an unusual, wonderful work of art this is.

Every chapter is a separate story of one of the people who visit the coffee house, Prasad(a) in Adelaide. But when I say "separate", I don't mean that those people are strangers to each other. Their lives and stories are connected in many ways. Some are/have lovers, some used to, some want to. Each of them has their own story and sees others differently.

As the book progressed, I found myself more and more immersed in the lives of all those people... I mean, characters. Each of them feels very real to me. The problem is that the book doesn't tell me enough about them and the second instalment will not be out soon enough (i.e. today). It feels a bit like having 15+ cliffhangers! One thing for sure, Gilbertson ensured that I will be impatiently awaiting the second book in the series.

I've never quite progressed past drinking coffee at coffee shops, but now I kind of want to find a place like this. I've always realised that every person has their story. Now I got a chance to peek into their lives – the young, the old, privileged or not, men, women. None of them are boring. But I hope some of them get STDs very soon. Uncurable and non-infectious ones. I wonder whether you'd wish the same fate on the characters I'd pick, or others?

PS. I might have cried a bit. Don't tell anybody.
PS2. Don't tell Gilbertson about George R.R. Martin. Don't encourage that sort of awful behaviour.
PS3. If you're allergic to the word "diversity", read something else.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Coffee House Book.

May 25, 2019 – Started Reading