Rosamund's Reviews > Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, Her Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed

Maybe You Should Talk to Someone by Lori Gottlieb

bookshelves: memoir-biography, psychology-mental-health, read-2019

So so so good. This is the most significant non-fiction book I've read so far in 2019. Like many great things in life, I went in with almost zero expectations and came out blown away. I only really picked it up because my mum had it out from the library while I was visiting, and I thought it was going to be just... very L.A. It wasn't, and I finished it thinking I needed to read it all over again. I was genuinely captivated by how each patient story reached its rocky but natural conclusion, how they were interwoven with the author's own struggles. Also, her motherhood story is very remarkable, and her winding path to her current profession is reassuring.

Most of all, it came at a time in my life when I really needed it, and it opened by eyes. I admittedly had to read it quickly, but I made so many notes and sent screenshots to friends. It's not perfect. For example, there was a recurrent, vaguely transphobic mantra that didn't even make sense (people are trans, Steven!). But overall, the vulnerability and self-awareness that no doubt arises through being a therapist really shone through here and made it extremely readable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.

Finished Reading
May 26, 2019 – Shelved
May 26, 2019 – Shelved as: memoir-biography
May 26, 2019 – Shelved as: psychology-mental-health
May 26, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Fiona (new) - added it

Fiona Sounds good! Gonna recommend you something you might also like..