b.andherbooks's Reviews > Good Guy

Good Guy by Kate Meader

it was ok
bookshelves: arc, romance, hockey, contemporary

So I was pretty much all in for this romance until I hit the last quarter or so, and it devolved from there. I loved the romance and how tenderly the aspect of Jordan being Levi's best friend's widow was handled. While a big part of the plot, it wasn't really angsty and overwrought. Levi has always been in love with Jordan, she was firmly in love with her husband, he died, and it is now five years later and she is ready for her life and finding new love.

Okay, romance is great, check. That said, I did not like how Jordan acted as a reporter. I felt she was very unethical and acted in a way contrary to what she was hoping to achieve as a female sports reporter. It is one thing for her to have feelings and start having sex with the subject of her assignment (Levi), which I felt was handled kind of okay, but a whole other thing for to be hiding in bathrooms to spy on the owners of the hockey team she's embedded with. Plus, if you are going to be exposing the sexism, harassment, and trolling women face while trying to do their jobs, maybe stop with the butt jokes about one of the young rookies on the team?

I recently read a different romance featuring a woman reporter who is asked to do a piece on her ex, and that story was miles ahead in making me feel like the profession was being depicted correctly and respectfully.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Guy.

May 25, 2019 – Shelved