Carvanz's Reviews > The Desperate Duke

The Desperate Duke by Sheri Cobb South

20266662
Audiobook: Narrator – Noah Michael Lavine

Absolutely LOVED this audiobook! I never get tired of listening to this narrator. He gives an amazing performance to an era long past while not losing me to an accent that I might not be able to follow. Each character is clearly defined and of course, I can’t help but swoon, again, each time he does Ethan’s voice. But this time he’s introduced me to Theo and I was a bit worried it might be a little too much but as soon as this book began I knew it was going to be perfect. Highly recommend this narrator!

Theo has got himself into some hot water after the death of his father and then the very public break up from his paramour. With the probate of his father’s will too late to help, he asks for Ethan’s help to tide him over. Ethan however, cunning individual that he is, declines – with very good reason – and sets Theo up to work in the cotton mill.

description

Daphne and her mother, once the height of society, now operate a boarding house, each dreaming of more. When Theo arrives on their doorstep, it is in succession with another individual, a man set to beat Ethan in his bid for the seat in the Commons. With her mother pushing her towards one man and her heart yearning for another, Daphne’s dreams change a bit.

description

This was such a wonderful read/listen! I loved the lighthearted banter of the characters, the quirky individuals that preside at the boarding house and most importantly this hero and heroine. Daphne was just so sweet and her dreams really were simple but honest. Theo was stuck in a place that either way he was going to lose. My heart hurt for them both.

I’ve become a huge fan of this series and this book solidifies it as a winner all around. I can’t help but recommend it to anyone who likes a sweet historical romance with characters that come to life and fill your heart from the first page to the last.

Multi POV
Safe (view spoiler)
Triggers (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Desperate Duke.

May 15, 2019 – Started Reading