Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)'s Reviews > Side Jobs: Stories from the Dresden Files

Side Jobs by Jim Butcher

Side Jobs features several short stories in the world of The Dresden Files. Each story takes place before or after a novel in the series. If you haven’t read the series then I’d recommend starting the series and reading them in-between the novels they are showcased or wait until you finished reading up to and through Changes. Some of the short stories can stand on their own, but many fill in gabs or give us a better understand of the world, relationships, and characters.

The one that you should not read as a stand-alone is, Aftermath. It comes after the events of Changes and that novel as the title says Changes everything and will be a spoiler. A few others are spoiler like; The Warrior & Something Borrowed.

Below is my thoughts on each short story. All are amazing and this book is well worth reading if you are a Dresden fan.

Restoration of Faith
Takes place before Storm Front

This one showcases Harry. It’s the first time he and us meet of Murphy for the first time. A kid who’s not happy with her situation runs away. Harry tells her that you have to hold onto the good and not let the dark sneak in.

It was fun to see that first interaction/meet of Harry and Murphy. There is always a choose that determines who you will be. What your values are.

Vignette
Takes place between Death Masks and Blood Rites

Bob and Harry discussing Harry’s advertisement in the paper and how it needs more pizzazz.

This was a fun and humorous one. I laughed/chuckled.

Something Borrowed
Takes place between Dead Beat and Proven Guilty

Murphy, Harry, Billy & Georgia are all featured. We get to see Bill and Georgia’s wedding, but things don’t go as planned. An evil stepmother, something else try to thwart the wedding, and true loves kiss.

Sweet, exciting, and will they be dead in the morning or make it through.

It’s My Birthday, Too
Takes place between white Night and Small Favor

Harry, Molly, and Thomas are featured. It’s Thomas’s Birthday on Valentines Day. Harry has a present for him, but while dropping it off things take a turn into Disastrous.

A human who finds vampires and wants revenge on those that wronged her. Full of death and destruction. What’s the Dresden world.

Heorot
Takes place between White Night and Small Favor

Mac, Gard, Mouse, & Harry are featured. Dresden teams up with Gard to help save a girl who’s been kidnapped by a Grendelkin. In the process we learn what Guard is and her real name.

This was a nice surprise. I didn’t know what Guard is and now I do. Mouse I love him.

Day Off
Takes place between Small Favor and Turn Coat

Harry’s got a day off and he’s planning to spend it with Anastasia. As you figure out things don't go as planned. It’s one issue after another to keep his day off not being a day off, but Harry can’t turn down helping his friends and he wouldn’t change the day.

In true Harry fashion he dons’t get time off and it's one fun, silly, and weird day.

Backup
Takes places between Small Favor and Turn Coat

This one features Thomas, Harry’s half brother, and vampire. It’s his POV. We see Thomas’s struggles with his other side, balancing his world and being in Harry’s life, and a secret war besides the Wizard/Vampire war going on, another hidden one.

I enjoyed seeing the Vampire side and Thomas. I know what happens to him, so seeing this was bitter sweet.

The Warrior
Takes place between Small Favor and Turn Coat and before “Last Call”

This one features Michael, Dresdens friend and former Knights of the Cross. It showcase Michael and his family after some events that changed his life. He’s in danger and so are the swards that Harry is holding on.

I don’t usually like when Real Religion is brought into the world/stories, but Jim Butcher has a way of making it work in his world. This was a powerful read.

Rated 4.5 Stars

Last Call
Takes place between Small Favor and Turn Coat

Harry shows up at Mac’s bar to find everyone passed out and a the place looking like a brawl happened. Harry and Murphy go on the hunt to find out who’s enchanting Mac’s beer and why. No one should have messed with Mac’s bar since it’s neutral ground.

A fun read with the usual running around and figuring out what’s up. Harry and Murphy have always been a great team.

Love Hurts
Takes place between Turn Coat and Changes

Murphy and Harry team up again to solve what is happening to couples. Three couples have been murdered and the last one was messed up. Who’s meddling with peoples minds and making them fall in love. What they find is that love hurts

Its love gone wrong or is it right? Another supernatural trying to wipe out another supernatural power through a different type of method.

Aftermath
Takes places the hours after the end of Changes

**WARNING: Do Not Read unless you have read Changes. You will be spoiled.

Murphy and Harry are going on a date, finally, but what she finds is blood all over the boat he’s staying at and no Harry around. If every the Alpha’s needed help Harry told them to go to Murphy. Here Will and Murphy team up to find Georgia, Will’s missing wife and along the way uncover something more. We see that Murphy is not inflatable, that she’s dealing with Harry’s vanishment and taking up his mental until he returns. We have a new guard.

All I can say is OMG. I felt for Murphy. I cried. I was on the edge of my set. So so good.

Rated: 4.5 Stars

angelsgp-seethisreview-blure

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Side Jobs.

May 24, 2019 – Shelved
January 10, 2020 – Shelved as: 4-stars
January 10, 2020 – Shelved as: favorites
January 10, 2020 – Shelved as: fav-urban-fantasy
January 10, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Kat (new)

Kat Valentine Excellent review and story breakdowns Angela!!💋👍💞😉

Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures) Kat wrote: "Excellent review and story breakdowns Angela!!💋👍💞😉"

Thank you!