Ash Rocketship's Reviews > How Not to Ask a Boy to Prom

How Not to Ask a Boy to Prom by S.J. Goslee

bookshelves: 2019

This was absolutely off-the-charts charming and such a fun, flirty, funny read! Goslee is extremely good at letting her narrative characters' internal monologue run as they fumble through their own idiocy and it worked so well here because Nolan is a giant dumbass, but in a likable way that's extremely fun to spend time with. Bern is... absolutely someone I would have had a BRUTAL crush on in high school and it's really fun to watch Nolan get to know him as the story takes shape. There are no villains here except Nolan's own mistakes and though he is bullied, it's just the mostly mild way that almost everyone that stands out at that age gets hassled, which is still really refreshing to read in a world obsessed with queer pain and suffering. Secondary characters are great and parents are awesome! My only complaint was that there were just a LOT of characters and it seemed to complicate otherwise enjoyable scenes unnecessarily, especially early on, but I figured if I just blasted through I'd be fine and I was totally right. I can't get over the novelty or the joy of reading a gay high school romance with diverse characters where no one suffers needlessly and everyone has a pretty good time. And since that seems to be Goslee's exact wheelhouse, I hope she gets to write and publish a hundred more books and has a great time writing them.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Not to Ask a Boy to Prom.

May 24, 2019 – Started Reading