E.A.'s Reviews > The Girl in the Green Silk Gown

The Girl in the Green Silk Gown by Seanan McGuire

20325359

bookshelves: contemporary-fantasy, horror-monsters-ghosts, novel, supernatural

I loved Sparrow Hill Road so much I walked into a bookshop minutes after finishing it to purchase the sequel, Girl in the Green Silk Gown, which I tore through with gusto. A more traditional novel, Girl in the Green Silk Gown did not begin life as a series of short stories later “fixed-up” into a longer work, like its predecessor. Instead, McGuire set out to tell more of road-ghost Rose’s story in long form. I relished the twists and turns of the tale, as the cat-and-mouse pursuit from book one again stands as the narrative through-line, only darker and more dangerous. Rose’s journey took her many places (a hitcher has to keep moving), echoing the episodic structure of the previous book, and delved deep into themes of trust, identity, coming of age, the burdens of power, and choices. Familiar characters populate the highways and byways of Rose’s quest, and I was on the edge of my seat wondering if she’d defeat Bobby Cross or be destroyed in the attempt, wondering who might betray her and for what price. It’s rare that I genuinely wonder if a main character will make it to the end (it’s almost always obvious they will, no matter how harrowing the writer thinks they’re making the story), but McGuire kept me on tenterhooks and I love her for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Green Silk Gown.

May 24, 2019 – Started Reading