Kelly's Reviews > The Black Mage

The Black Mage by Daniel Barnes

bookshelves: comics, read-in-2019, reviewed

Surprisingly fun for a comic book about racism and the KKK.

(Full disclosure: I received a free e-ARC for review through NetGalley. Trigger warning for depictions of racism.)

When teenager Tom Token is accepted into the historically all-white boarding school St. Ivory Academy as part of its "Magical Minority Initiative," he's understandably skeptical. Sure, the facilities are state of the art, and the education can't be beat, but at what cost? His melanin-challenged classmates assail him with aggressions both micro and - in the case of the Headmaster's rich jock son Bryce - physical. Tom's pet bird, Jim the crow, is even injured in the crossfire (though happily not beyond magical repair).

But race relations at St. Ivory are far worse than Tom could imagine (or maybe not: the Headmaster's robe bears a suspicious resemblance to a KKK hood). When he receives an anonymous tip that he's not the first black mage to walk St. Ivory's halls, Tom embarks on a journey to find out what happened to his predecessors. With the help of the ghosts of Harriet Tubman and Frederick Douglass, and do-gooder fellow classmate/student liaison Lindsay Whitehorn, can Tom get justice for the other black mages sacrificed to keep St. Ivory afloat - or will he, too, be fed to the racist machine?

The synopsis describes The Black Mage as "The School for Good and Evil meets Dread Nation," but I got a ton of Harry Potter vibes. I half expected Barnes to swap the race of one of the more minor characters halfway through the narrative, a la Lavender Brown. It just feels right, given Barnes's sense of humor (and I mean that in the most awesome way possible).

Some readers will undoubtedly describe the book's racial politics as heavy-handed - and the references are pretty numerous and not terribly subtle - but I think it's done in a clever and engaging way: rather cheeky with a "I said what I said" kind of energy. The comic is remarkably fun for a book about racial violence, which I suspect is the point: disarm your audience with charming artwork, plucky sidekicks, and a plethora of pop culture references so that they absorb the message before they can say "Riddikulus!".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Mage.

May 23, 2019 – Started Reading