Sandra Strange's Reviews > The Survivors Club: The Secrets and Science that Could Save Your Life

The Survivors Club by Ben Sherwood

2073676
Feb 24, 2012

bookshelves: history-and-nonfiction
Read in February, 2012

This book's subtitle is "The Secrets and Science that Could Save your Life," so I expected all kinds of process essays on how to survive in the woods, in an earthquake, etc. I was pleasantly surprised to find it's more a description of what qualities and strategies enable survival in all kinds of situations from cancer to earthquakes to airline disasters. The book's well written with lots of stories of real survivors, as well as reports of research findings, to support the author's conclusions about how we all survive. It's really up beat, with the thesis that we're stronger than we think, and that we can learn to survive everything. Make sure you read to the end. Toward the end, a couple of more abstract chapters slow the pace, but the end chapters pick it up again, with reports that trauma that can cause psychological damage in some, paradoxically more often develops wisdom and STRENGTH in people. A great and important read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Survivors Club.