Mish's Reviews > The Blackhouse

The Blackhouse by Peter  May

Feb 24, 2012

liked it
Read from February 24 to March 10, 2012

Fin Macleod is a Detective Inspector with the Edinburgh Police and is sent to investigate a murder on the isle of Lewis. He is from the island and has to confront some issues from his past. The customs and landscape of the island feature in the book including an annual hunting trip, to a remote rock, that is undertaken by the men of the island.

It was OK - bit long on description in parts but found it quite readable. The cover of my copy says "Evil Lies Within" and there's a picture of a blackhouse - implies that there's something spiritually awry at that building but it's misleading - the evil lurks elsewhere.

I thought the characters were well formed and the plot moved along at a reasonable pace. There wasn't a great deal of police work involved - a lot of the book is taken up by the events in Fin's past. Every other chapter is written in the first person as Fin goes back over things.

The attention to details with some sections of the book make for interesting reading and made me think about my reactions in those situations - especially spending time at the blackhouse.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blackhouse.