Jena Henry's Reviews > Twenty-one Truths About Love

Twenty-one Truths About Love by Matthew Dicks

A novel written in list form. Seriously? Wait…what did you say? A novel written in list form? What kind of book is that???
An engaging, captivating book. Really! My one piece of advice before you start this book- buy some Little Debbie Snacks.
On Amazon, Twenty-one Truths about Love is categorized as “Epistolary Fiction”. (Please don’t confuse “epistolary” with “episiotomy”- which also figures in this book.) Epistolary fiction is a novel written in letter form. I have read books like that, and also books written in diary form. This is the first time that I have read a book that is written in list form- and only lists.
Author Matthew Dicks is an accomplished author and he has crafted a story that will make you laugh, shake your head, tear up a bit, and completely entertain you. The lists, some are long, some short, some use but a few words, amazingly form a complete story. A story that will engage you with a well-rounded main character. Sometimes you want to hug Dan and sometimes you want to shake him. He has many problems, involving his wife, job, family, friends, his whole life. Months by month, list by list, he struggles to work it out.
I highly recommend this book and I also recommend that you read the reviews for this book. Many of the reviewers were braver and more talented than me and reviewed this book in list format- and their reviews work, too! Here’s my favorite item from one of Dan’s lists: “Winners arrive on time. Losers are always unexpectedly stuck in traffic.”
Many thanks to NetGalley, the writer, and St. Martin’s Press for providing me with a digital review copy. This is my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twenty-one Truths About Love.

Finished Reading