Bjørn's Reviews > Hope

Hope by Terry Tyler

Terry Tyler has a rare and terrifying talent. She can foretell the future. There's only one thing that she gets wrong – the dates. Because she writes about 2026, but some of the things she describes are already happening.

There's not a lot of hope to Hope. UK's newly elected lifestyle... typo! Prime minister's wife and her husband start phasing out those who don't fit the #FitForWork, then #FitForLife norms. The undesirables are being sent to Hope Villages, which are neither villages nor filled with hope (delusion, perhaps). And it's terrifyingly easy to find yourself homeless, then a resident of a Hope, once you cross the corporation that essentially owns the UK and just so happens to belong to PM's wife's family.

An actual, non-fictional American president was aided by an army of Russian trolls, who skewed the social media enough to manipulate the result of the elections. This, sadly, didn't happen in Tyler's imagination. Hope presents the next steps. But she wasn't pessimistic enough. Software that "emulates" humans already exists, it's just not as good as in the book. A few days before I bought the novel I saw a presentation of a technology that allows to turn paintings into people who move and talk just like the "real" ones. When you see Mona Lisa chuckle, frown, roll her eyes, then show her profile, all based on that one painting, you can be either excited or terrified. Tyler's book will point you into the latter direction.

Fortune-telling, or perhaps misfortune-telling is something the author has done before in her Project Renova series. In Hope hashtags turn into brainwashing as #MoMo work tirelessly on getting rid of those who are not #FitForWork and turn them into ones not #FitForLife. The public – those who satisfy the government's, or rather its owner's requirements – applaud. Compassion, sympathy, empathy are replaced by hashtags, selfies, devices that record everything we do (Alexa, why did you send all my conversations to Amazon's servers?) that we... typo! That the people in the book bought willingly.

Does Hope offer some actual hope? Perhaps. Maybe. I wish I could say "yes, of COURSE, the baddies all die in horrible circumstances and the goodies live happily ever after once they've fixed everything". But when I look at the world in 2019, I wish I could say that Tyler's book feels like fiction. It doesn't.

*re-reads the above* OK, I'm done. Off to share this review on social media. #Hope #Goodreads #BookReview #FitForReading
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hope.

May 24, 2019 – Shelved
May 24, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
May 28, 2019 – Started Reading
May 28, 2019 –
May 29, 2019 –
May 29, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Gill Aww you've taken everything I was going to say. I haven't finished it yet, 88% done. So you'll forgive me if my review might read a little similar to yours? Great review. And yes, exactly what I thought, quite a lot is already in the here and now maybe slightly more dressed up, but no less shocking.