Blodeuedd Finland's Reviews > The Unlikely Adventures of the Shergill Sisters: Sometimes You Have to Leave Home to Find Your Roots

The Unlikely Adventures of the Shergill Sisters by Balli Kaur Jaswal

1962503

liked it
bookshelves: audiobook, fiction

Always when I read something about travel in India it is always so exotic, filled with foods and no dangers at all. But this other shows the side that I always read about in the news. The latest story I read about this child was so horrifying that I wanted to cry.

The sisters are told to dress modestly, not to walk alone and still they all fear at times. Men in groups, leering, brushing up against them. It is that dark side of India, and they do come across a women's movement too. They try to fight back, even if the odds are against them. And it is certainly a story that needs to be told too.

But let us start at the beginning. With 3 sisters, Raj, Jez and Shirnia whose mother pass away and before that she tells them to go on a pilgrimage. To visit holy sites and to get to know each other again.

Raj the oldest is 43 and her son has found a girlfriend only a few years younger than Raj. She is the mother hen who is strict
Jez is a struggling actress with a scandal brewing. She is the wild one
Shirnia, the one who went into an arranged marriage and moved across the world. She is the diplomat.

I liked these sisters. They certainly had their issues, they did not really want to be here, but they come together in the end and become stronger than ever before.

This book touch on another subject too. Daughters. And I learned something new, I mean I knew that abortions are high and who wants a girl. But that even rich people do it was horrifying, I just wanted to scream why? Why are girls so bad? It really made me sad.

It is a road trip. It is family drama. And it was a really good story to listen to. I enjoyed it a lot. I should check out that previous book by her too.

Narrator
I really liked her voice and her different voices for the sisters. You could always hear who was who with everyone who showed up. She was perfect.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unlikely Adventures of the Shergill Sisters.

May 24, 2019 – Started Reading