Todd Charlton's Reviews > The Other End

The Other End by John Shirley

John Shirley has written what a lot of us might have thought about. An original end of the world story. An intelligence called The Absolute, that exists everywhere has seen us ruin our world through brutality, religious fundamentalism, war, human trafficking et al. Something called the UnderGod seeded the planet with the notions of destruction and death.
A huge double coned light passes over the world a tract of land at a time, like a twister, killing those that are irredeemable; the murderers, the predators, the ones beyond consciousness raising.
People are given a choice whether to stay in the old world or travel with "Dennis" and "Judith", representatives of The Absolute, 20,000 years into the future to reclaim a rebooted earth.
The great thing here is while amazing things happen, there is nothing supernatural about them. Everything that is extraordinary is natural. And the Adjusters have enough faith in those left to live peaceful long happy lives.
The novel is episodic, it gives us scenarios from around the world where the bad are wiped out, leaving, not so much the good, but the redeemable. And the ending makes The Other End a special read.
John Shirley is not a household name but he should be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other End.

May 23, 2019 – Started Reading