Sheyla ✎'s Reviews > Miracle Creek

Miracle Creek by Angie  Kim

bookshelves: 2019, audible, best-2019, great-debut, unforgettable

4.5 Fangs

It has been a few days since I finished reading Miracle Creek. While I was reading it, I could only imagine how good this book will be as a movie.

I usually don't like court dramas but I think Angie Kim did her best work by delivering us the lies and the truth through the characters on the stand and in the courtroom.

Miracle Creek tells us the story of the death of an autistic child during a hyperbaric oxygen treatment or "dive" caused by a fire in August of 2008. A year later, Elizabeth, the mother is on trial and if found guilty, she could receive the death penalty.

Through four days of the trial and the voices of the Yoo's (Young (mother), Pak (father) and Mary (teenage daughter)) Matt Thompson and his wife, Janine Cho, and Teresa Santiago, Angie Kim begins presenting to us the true events that happened the night of the fire. Was Elizabeth the only one with a reason for arson or does anyone else who was there that night have a motive too? The list of suspects starts to elongate as the narrative continues.

Personally, I've referred patients to be evaluated for hyperbaric oxygen to treat nonhealing wounds or second/third-degree burns but I didn't realize it was being used for autism or infertility. My knowledge of it has always been in a hospital setting, so I was quite surprised that the Yoo's had an HBOT in a regular neighborhood. All kinds of medical error scenarios popped through my mind while I was reading it but the truth was so much worse.

Miracle Creek is not your usual debut novel. The descriptions, character development and suspense were done as masterful as a seasoned writer. Angie Kim's novel inserts pieces of humanity at its worse but we also get -or at least I did- the sense of hope. Some of the characters decisions made me nauseous by their omissions and lies. Some infuriated me. One, I disliked tremendously.

As a fiction reader, I can't recommend enough Miracle Creek. If you heard the audio which I did for the majority of it, the narrator does an amazing job. At the end of the audio, there is an interview with Angie Kim where she mentions her own experience with immigration, becoming a lawyer and HBOT treatment for one of her children. The music done by her son is perfect for the audio too.

Cliffhanger: No

4.5/5 Fangs

MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miracle Creek.

May 23, 2019 – Shelved
June 8, 2019 – Shelved as: audible
June 8, 2019 – Shelved as: best-2019
June 8, 2019 – Shelved as: great-debut
June 8, 2019 – Shelved as: unforgettable

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)

❤️ Paulette Enjoy L💕ve ツ

Sheyla ✎ ❤️ Paulette wrote: "Enjoy L💕ve ツ"
Thank you, Paulette !

❤️ Paulette Sheyla ✎ wrote: "❤️ Paulette wrote: "Enjoy L💕ve ツ"
Thank you, Paulette !"

❥ It's Always Pleasure L💕ve ツ

Felicia I came looking for your review and this is what I find?? Come on already!

Sheyla ✎ Felicia wrote: "I came looking for your review and this is what I find?? Come on already!"
Hahaha. You made me laugh. I'll write it soon and let you know.

message 6: by Yun (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yun Terrific, thoughtful review, Sheyla! You're right, this didn't read like a debut, but something much more masterful. I'm glad you enjoyed this. A movie would be awesome! :)

Sheyla ✎ Yun wrote: "Terrific, thoughtful review, Sheyla! You're right, this didn't read like a debut, but something much more masterful. I'm glad you enjoyed this. A movie would be awesome! :)"
Thank you, Yun. It was great!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Wonderful review Sheyla! 💗💜

Sheyla ✎ Lindsay - Traveling Sister wrote: "Wonderful review Sheyla! 💗💜"
Thank you, Lindsay!

DeAnn Excellent review Sheyla! You are right, it would make a great movie.

Sheyla ✎ DeAnn wrote: "Excellent review Sheyla! You are right, it would make a great movie."

marilyn Great review and loved this book!

Sheyla ✎ marilyn wrote: "Great review and loved this book!"
Thank you, Marilyn!

message 14: by Julia (new)

Julia Ash Wow, great review, Sheyla!!!

Nilton Teixeira I’m currently reading and really enjoying it. The writing is great. I love court room drama.

Holly  B Wonderful review Sheyla!! Loved this too!

Sheyla ✎ Julia wrote: "Wow, great review, Sheyla!!!"
Thank you, Julia!

Sheyla ✎ Nilton wrote: "I’m currently reading and really enjoying it. The writing is great. I love court room drama."
Glad you are enjoying it too.

Sheyla ✎ Holly wrote: "Wonderful review Sheyla!! Loved this too!"

Norma * Traveling Sister Wonderful review, Sheyla! So good! :-)

Sheyla ✎ Norma * Traveling Sister wrote: "Wonderful review, Sheyla! So good! :-)"
Thank you kindly, Norma.

Brenda - Traveling Sister Excellent review, Sheyla!

Sheyla ✎ Brenda - Traveling Sister wrote: "Excellent review, Sheyla!"
Thank you, Brenda. It was a very interesting book.

message 24: by sue (new) - added it

sue Fabulous review

Sheyla ✎ sue wrote: "Fabulous review"

Deanna Terrific review! I loved the audio too :)

Sheyla ✎ Deanna wrote: "Terrific review! I loved the audio too :)"