Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)'s Reviews > The Hungry Ones

The Hungry Ones by Chris   Sorensen

bookshelves: horror, review-copy

4.0 Stars
Video Review: https://youtu.be/qzQFuyRpkWo

Chris Sorensen is the only horror author to make me love - not one, but TWO - haunted house stories.

I have said so many times that I don’t like reading about haunted buildings and that still remains true with the exception of one series: The Messy Man. I don't just like these books, I really love them. Yes, they still have a lot of the classic tropes of the subgenre, but they also draw on other forms of supernatural horror that hook me in the story. I would love to say more, but I really think it’s best to experience horror of the Messy Man for yourself.

There are so many reasons to love this series. First, the author has writing chops. His style is easy to read, yet descriptive enough to help me picture the events unfolding on the page. The main characters are all quite likeable and often funny. The stories are well paced with the right balance of tension and relief to keep the narrative moving forward. Horror fiction is notorious for having disappointing endings, but Sorenson always nails his finales. No spoilers here, but I will say that both books build towards exciting and satisfying conclusions that I personally really enjoyed.

The Hungry Ones could technically be read as a standalone, but I personally recommend starting back at the beginning of the series because you will get so much more out of the story. The Nightmare Room is a fantastic debut and is well worth your time. If you intend to read the entire series, you should read them in publication order since book two will spoil major plot points from book one.

Needless to say, I would highly recommend The Messy Man series to just about any horror reader. There is something in these books for just about everyone's reading tastes. Once you have read The Nightmare Room, you should absolutely jump into The Hungry Ones. I look forward to reading more of the Messy Man books in the future.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hungry Ones.

May 23, 2019 – Started Reading