Jacqueline Simonds's Reviews > The Flight Girls: A Novel

The Flight Girls by Noelle Salazar

did not like it

I picked up an ARC of this book at my job in a bookstore. After 100 pages, I declared a book divorce. Yes, it's that bad.

First, let's talk about the fact this book is so poorly edited, it made me, a former editor, nearly cry. No, I didn't find piles of typos. I found piles of anachronisms for a book about 1941 - 45.
~Referring to women as "Ms." - the term was not in broad popular use until 1968.
~A male character keeps bumping his head against the "headrest" of a Jeep. They barely had seats back then, let alone headrests.
~Women wear "Victory Rolls" (big curls in their hair) before Pearl Harbor (after was OK).
~Asserts that people "watched the horrors of Pearl Harbor on television" and I can't even begin to slam this statement hard enough.
~Numerous statements that the MC's mother was against her flying, then states she encourages her to fly.
~spends almost 2 full pages describing an apartment we'll never see again, but only about 3 graphs on the devastation at Pearl Harbor.

This is lazy, poorly researched, poorly executed "historical fiction" that does the writer no favors, nor the entire genre of "women's fiction." It has a nifty premise and should have been a good read, even if the "we'll just be friends even though we're madly attracted to each other" premise is pretty silly.

Do I sound angry? I read a lot of independent authors' work that runs rings around this book that the indies can't even get anyone to look at. And then dreck like this gets put out. It makes me tired.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Flight Girls.

May 9, 2019 – Started Reading
May 23, 2019 – Shelved
May 23, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Louise I just started it last night and have been debating continuing. The writing is so poor and the story is already so twee and trite that I've had a hard time not rolling my eyes.
I caught the "Victory Rolls" reference too and scratched my head.

I may not continue.