Alison's Reviews > The Road She Left Behind

The Road She Left Behind by Christine Nolfi

F 50x66

Sometimes you need to stop running and go back and face your past.
Darcy fled her home eight years ago and has never looked back nor stopped running.
Now she's on the road back to confront what she left behind at home.
We get the impression that there are many secrets in Darcy's life. Slowly as the story unfolds we start to discover them as they are revealed.
I found the first few chapters a bit slow going until Darcy returned to her childhood home. Then, for me, the story picked up pace and I was drawn into the complex relationships surrounding Darcy.
An eclectic blend of characters populate the pages of this book and add so much value to the atmosphere of the book.
Its a very true representation of some families - that so often it takes something awful happening either to totally destroy them or repair them or both.
The story also exposes the other side of the mother/daughter relationship - the brittle, fragile, complex one that no-one really wants to talk about, preferring to focus on the easier, happier, uncomplicated one..
It also shines a light on the darker side of what we at times perceive as a "perfect marriage".
The last few chapters were very dramatic and fast-flowing and their events tied up everything perfectly.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for allowing me the opportunity to read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road She Left Behind.

May 19, 2019 – Started Reading