Wing Kee's Reviews > The Family Trade

The Family Trade by Charles Stross

liked it

Not an entirely original premise and a story that doesn't stand alone makes this book problematic.

World: The world building is okay, this time of premise has been done before and the scenarios and the pieces of the world has been seen many times, the book even calls out Sliders the TV show at a point. That being said it at least does try to provide as much internal logic as it can though at times it's still somewhat lacking and this book really needs a way to call the two world differently for the sake of the readers (like earth one and two...).

Story: The story reads like Sliders and that's what it essentially is, Sliders meets Godfather meets Yankee in King Arthur's Court. The pacing is aight, the situations interested and expected. There is some info dumping in terms of how the Court works but actually it's not really detailed and kinda choppy how it's done so not the most clear and concise. That's why when the cloak and dagger stuff starts happening it is a bit choppy and difficult to follow, for a first book I think it needed to be much more direct. The book ends, it's not a complete book by itself but a first act and I don't like books that can't stand on it's own even if there is a larger story at play. Still it's God enough pieces to make me want to continue, though some of the logic leaps and conveniences do make my eye roll a bit.

Characters: Miriam is a solid character with a clear personal voice and she reads like a lot of the heroines in this genre. The rest of the cast we get little development and a lot of players. However I think we needed a character map or someone to give readers context fr each to actually make the story more weighty and fully formed. The romance was a but ridiculous and too convenient for my taste.

It was okay, kinda wonky but I'll continue for now.

Onward to the next book!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Family Trade.

May 23, 2019 – Started Reading