Geoff's Reviews > Vineland

Vineland by Thomas Pynchon

Everybody always told me Vineland was Pynchon’s worst effort - what? No way no how, brothers and sisters, this here is an endless DNA chain or like Russian doll of embedded story after story descending and re-emerging through various strata of narratorial layers, pop culture send-ups, genre parodies, all funny as hell and twisted and ridiculous while also extremely smart and painted with mind-tweaking flights down and up imaginative spiral staircases! And there’s so much heart in this book this old cold hombre almost teared up at certain moments. Worst Pynchon? - C’mon, this is his classic Saturday night drive-in camp flick, for the mentally agitated among us, to be paired generously with Inherent Vice, and a downright lovely & insane ode to mid-20th century American popular culture - get on it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vineland.

Finished Reading
May 23, 2019 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Jerpe endless DNA chain or like... a series of twisting vines? maybe?

Geoff Nathan wrote: "endless DNA chain or like... a series of twisting vines? maybe?"

Oh shit mind blown

Geoff You just did the concise review of this book, congrats!

Geoff I'm not putting in anything approaching effort on reviewing books anymore, so y'all better step up and here is a prime example.

W.D. Clarke Worst Pynchon?! Most underrated, for sure. And my personal fave. Read it 5 times, then felt spurred to do my diss on it (mostly it). I'll still be re-reading this baby into my dotage!

Geoff W.D. wrote: "Worst Pynchon?! Most underrated, for sure. And my personal fave. Read it 5 times, then felt spurred to do my diss on it (mostly it). I'll still be re-reading this baby into my dotage!"

I mean, it’s definitely no Gravity’s Rainbow, it’s no Against the Day or Mason & Dixon - but it is immensely good - and well-worth dotage revisiting!

W.D. Clarke My personal list has GR on top, then M&D, then (yes!) VL, and THEN AtD and V in a tie for fourth!!

Geoff Mine is probably GR on top, M&D and ATD ties for runners up, and then the rest a close-knit constellation of amazingness. Though I never actually finished V, and have not yet read Bleeding Edge.

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul a better review than most without even trying, Geoff! I've only read The Crying of Lot 49, so I couldn't comment. Those others are just so long....

Geoff Paul wrote: "Those others are just so long...."

Worth every single moment it takes