Energy's Reviews > The Spies of Shilling Lane

The Spies of Shilling Lane by Jennifer    Ryan

54301934

The world is on the brink of it's second World War. Some underground groups in London want to see the Nazis succeed. Mrs. Braithwaite's daughter, Betty, is undercover with MI5, working to stop the Nazis and those who would see them succeed. But when she goes missing, her mother of all people is on the case. After a brief reunion, the two are torn apart. We follow each of them in their search for each other as a brilliant story unfolds.

A lifetime under her Aunt's thumb has made Mrs. Braithwaite impossible, as the blurb says, she's despised by many. She is a force to be reckoned with and as Betty describes of her mother, "plucky", and I think that's apt. She's persuasive and able to pull others to do her bidding.

I thought The Spies of Shilling Lane was incredibly well-written, it's smart, witty, and clever. While it was hard to like Mrs. Braithwaite at first, she grew on me fast. The characters are excellent, and I especially liked the timid Mr. Norris. The story did go to crazyville and I think that's why I like it so much. It's a super fun read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spies of Shilling Lane.

May 21, 2019 – Started Reading