Ella's Reviews > Crossed

7902037
Feb 24, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: borrowed-from-library, dystopian, young-adult

I am gutted to have to give this book only 1 star as I had high expectations. "Matched", whilst not a masterpiece of writing, had a good pace and painted an interesting picture of the author's dystopian world. In "Crossed", all of that is lost, and the action is extremely slow, picking up only in the last handful of chapters (where I was finally able to read at a normal pace again).

The biggest failure of this book, and I can't believe that no editor or publishing house representative spotted it, is that I had a hard time distinguishing Cassia's voice from Ky's. The chapters are alternatingly narrated by the two and if I got distracted and momentarily forgot whose chapter I was reading, I was not able to tell. That, I think, is the biggest flaw of this book, even more so than its repetitivity and exaggerated sappiness.

I'm not sure if I will want to read the third installment. It seems logical to conclude the trilogy, but I don't know if I can submit myself to this kind of slow-paced, nothing-really-happens narration. Bear in mind, I'm not at all averse to streams of consciousness and internal dialogue, I just thought there was too much of it and it did not advance the plot in any way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossed.

February 24, 2012 – Shelved
April 19, 2012 –
page 213
April 23, 2012 – Finished Reading
August 11, 2013 – Shelved as: young-adult

Sally I had a hard time distinguishing Cassia's voice from Ky's <--- SAME HERE OMG.