Leah's Reviews > Feminism for the 99%: A Manifesto

Feminism for the 99% by Cinzia Arruzza

Wow, yet again I'm struck by my ignorance and apathy in not fully understanding the systems at work in my country. (The last time was in 2017 after I watched Ava DuVernay 's The 13th. Whew! I mean, I knew the "justice" system was messed up, and I was already on the fence about prisons, but that doc showed me how effed it truly is.) In all the social studies and history and government classes I've had in my lifetime, I only ever thought of capitalism as economics. Never did I really ever see it as a political system and definitely not a sustaining (or even a driving) force in patriarchy, racism, sexism... Probably my distaste for politics in general is a major contributing factor to that ignorance -- a factor, not an excuse to be sure.

"We write not to sketch an imagined utopia, but to mark out the road that must be traveled to reach a just society."

Feminism for the 99% is a solid primer. It's not an in-depth work and, for anyone already educated on the subject, it may only function as a quick reference for guiding theses and principles. For others, like me, it will serve as a catalyst to learn more. But don't let its page count fool ya -- I spent over a month reading and re-reading it.

Notes to self:(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feminism for the 99%.

April 3, 2019 – Started Reading