Ciera Bennefield's Reviews > Sh*t My Dad Says

Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern

F 50x66
Feb 24, 2012

Recommended to Ciera by: the android market
Recommended for: someone with a lax personality looking for a laugh
Read on February 24, 2012

I just finished this book at 2:48 this morning. I couldn't put it down after I downloaded it from the Android market on my phone. Sure, it's not the most literary book in the world as some have complained about. It is laden with curse words that would make even a drunken sailor say, "Hey, watch the language, man."

However, the book is a cute book about a boy's relationship with his father. Rather it makes sense to everyone doesn't matter because it was Justin's relationship with his father. It perplexed me a little bit because his father was a cancer researcher in nuclear medicine and he spoke like he never completed seventh grade, but that's what makes the book so genuinely beautiful: it's ironic. You'd never think a man that curses so much and is so crude could love his family as much as he does--which is what the book is trying to express.

If you get past the lack of transitions, descriptive words and eloquence then throw in a lot of curses and funny statements, you have a book that is genuinely charming and funny. I loved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sh*t My Dad Says.