Lacer's Reviews > Chernobyl: History of a Tragedy

Chernobyl by Serhii Plokhy

U 50x66

I’ve been watching the excellent Chernobyl on TV and it made me curious to find out more. I was 11 when the disaster happened and I remember it in the news but I had no idea of the depth of the story behind it. Chernobyl: History of a tragedy looks at how Chernobyl came to be built, what caused the disaster and the response to it, both short term and long term. It’s very close to the TV series, which shows how accurate the series is. I never realised, back when I was 11, how close the world came to a much greater disaster and that disaster was only averted thanks to people who sacrificed their health and in some cases lives.

Chernobyl is a modern day Titanic and a lesson that we need right now about the folly of following political dogma over actual facts. It’s also an interesting look at how an environmental disaster can radically alter a country’s politics but then how economic issues can cause them to back pedal. It’s also a bit scary, as the epilogue says, there are now many nuclear reactors being built around the world in regimes which may have similar issues with safety as the USSR did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chernobyl.

May 22, 2019 – Started Reading