Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Wool

Wool by Hugh Howey

Feb 23, 2012

bookshelves: adult, science-fiction, futuristic, dystopia-or-apocalyptic
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: Regina
Read in June, 2012

I want to go out. I want to go out. I wanttogoout.

4.5 stars. Holy _____ . You can choose which word to insert there but you might want to pick something much stronger than cow. Because the word I'm thinking is pretty strong with a lot of caps and exclamation points following it.

People (ahhh...yes, the very abstract and almost imaginary use of "people") have been telling me to read this short for a while now. I should have been listening sooner. Btw... Wool is a very condensed little read. It only took me about a half hour to get through the entire thing. It's worth the try (especially if you like dystopia) because there's no risk when something is this short. I'm tempted to jump right into Wool 2 but I can't right now.

Imagine being trapped in a silo, the rest of the outside world a complete mystery to you. Information is limited as to what's going on "out there." Your wife went crazy trying to figure it out. You feel like you're going crazy trying to know yourself.
Allison whispered something almost inaudible : "It's not real. Nothing you see is real."

Holston turned back to survey the muddy, lifeless landscape. It only looked depressing compared to scenes from the children's books.

"You okay?" Nelson asked. "Anything too tight?" Holston glanced around the airlock. My life is too tight, he wanted to say. My skin is too tight. The walls are too tight.

The animal part of his mind wasn't made for this, to be calmly ushered to a death it was perfectly aware of.

Yep. A lot happened in the span of a few pages. There is so much packed into such a little short. The ending was crazy. I honestly have no idea what's going to come next, so I'm very excited to get to the next installment as soon as possible!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wool.

Regina I am glad you loved it! This little novella really took me by surprise.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks for telling me about it! I love being clued in to these little hidden gems. Are the rest of the series just as good?

Regina I have only got through 4 and they get better! I have 5 on my kindle but just haven't gotten to it yet. I am glad to be able to return the favor after you have introduced me to so many books. :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) I was reminded of this yesterday when I saw another friend who'd just read it. The timing was good because I had no time to read a full book.this weekend.

You've picked some good ones too. I wanted to read the next As The World Dies book this week but might have to wait until next week because I'd planned to get to This Is Not a Test before its release. Not sure if I want two zombie books in the same week or I might compare them, even though I think Test is a quieter read, not really focused on the zombies themselves but mote on survival.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Argh. Mote = more. My Nook isn't letting me edit my last comment. Darn tiny keyboards...