Valerie Campbell Ackroyd's Reviews > The Boy Who Lived with the Dead

The Boy Who Lived with the Dead by Kate Ellis

I had already read one Kate Ellis this week, one of her Wesley Peterson series, a series I read at least one of every other month. Eventually I will catch up with her. Having returned that one to the ship’s library, I noticed it had another Kate Ellis but this one was not part of the Wesley Peterson series but featured another detective, Albert Lincoln of Scotland Yard, and is set in 1919-1920. The fly leaf sounded quite interesting—Albert returns to a village in North West England where he had failed to solve the murder of a child 10 years earlier and now a woman has been murdered and her baby is missing.

Like so many other mysteries that are set in that time period, a lot of the book centers around the tragedy of World War 1. Lincoln himself was injured in the war, families are in mourning for their lost sons and Ellis makes the point about the generation that paid the price for serving and the younger generation that, having seen the futility of war, wants to cut loose. Each character has something to hide and Ellis does a good job of unmasking those secrets in a very somberly entertaining way. (Somberly entertaining is my way of saying that the plot is sad but engrossing.)

Coming to this book, the second in the Lincoln series, I encountered several references to the first book in the series. So many that I don’t think I will read that one but will continue along with whatever next one there is or will be. In this way Ellis may have shot herself in the foot (a pun you will understand if you read this book) re sales of her first book as some people may feel as I do—I know enough about the first book not to want to read it while still wanting to continue with the series to see what happens to a few threads she has left hanging in this one.

I was totally immersed in the book—read the book in two days actually in the midst of a very stormy ocean crossing and was grateful to have it to read. Although I had part of the mystery figured out three quarters of the way through, the identity of the murderer was a surprise when it was unveiled several pages before the end. Thinking about it, though, I could see where there were several clues in the book that pointed to the murderer. It all makes sense at the end; something I always feel satisfied with a mystery. I hate plot twists that require suspension of belief.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boy Who Lived with the Dead.

May 20, 2019 – Started Reading