Cassandra Elise's Reviews > Landline

Landline by Rainbow Rowell

liked it

** spoiler alert ** This book was hit or miss for me. I loved the relationship between Georgie and Neal and how we got to see it evolve. All of the characters (except maybe Kendrick and Scotty) were well-rounded and developed. The premise of a magic time-traveling phone is intriguing, but it falls flat in a couple of ways. One, if you’re gonna use magic there needs to be rules of the magical universe. Rowell just says “um, there’s magic because reasons.”

Second, considering the protagonist references many time travel stories, you would think she would understand what was happening. Obviously her present situation happened in Neal’s past, so she wasn’t actually changing her past because it already happened. Yet Georgie spends a good portion of the book worrying she’s going to erase her kids or cause other problems. Meanwhile I had the time travel figured out a 1/4 of the way through the book and was sitting there shouting at her to get a clue.

Also, don’t understand what the point of the pugs was. Waste of paper.

Anyways, it was pretty cute, but for the reasons listed above it gets points knocked off.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Landline.

May 22, 2019 – Started Reading
May 22, 2019 – Shelved
May 22, 2019 –
page 45
May 27, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Lexi I think the pug childbirth scene was supposed to be a parallel to her near-death experience giving birth to Noomi, but as we didn't even know about that till the last 20 pages, it didn't really work.

Cassandra Elise Lexi wrote: "I think the pug childbirth scene was supposed to be a parallel to her near-death experience giving birth to Noomi, but as we didn't even know about that till the last 20 pages, it didn't really work."

Interesting thought. Never even occurred to me. I thought it was just an awkward way to introduce her sister's love interest, which fell flat. For one thing, there was no buildup to the sister's predicament, so I didn't really care whether she found love or not.