Kurt Olsen's Reviews > The Spy Who Jumped Off the Screen

M 50x66
Feb 23, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: 2012-read

I can count on one hand the number of books I have stopped reading part-way through, and this is one of them. The premise sounded interesting, but it just has not gotten my attention at all.

It did not start out well. The "introduction" by Bill Clinton was truly one of the most boring things I have ever read. It's 6 pages long! I literally could only read one paragraph, and then just stopped. It was verbose, self-aggrandizing, and meaningless.

Caplan's writing style is not appealing to me. He clearly has a large vocabulary, which he is eager to show off, but it does not enhance the story or reading experience. The dialogue between characters is silly - nobody really talks like that.

I'm halfway through the book, and the closest "spying" thing the main character has done so far is overhear a conversation in Chinese that the people didn't think he could understand. Not exactly thriller material.

I'm not a finicky reader, but this book is dull. Don't waste your time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spy Who Jumped Off the Screen.

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa My sentiments exactly. I keep hoping it will get better. I think I'm about where you were when you gave up. Also I have insomnia, so am hoping it will help, if nothing else, but there are so many books I want to read I'm going to be really annoyed if it doesn't pick up the pace. And Clinton's comments about how verbose the book was and how he (I mean I love the guy but seriously --) he! of all people made suggestions on how to cut it down! He of the 6 page intro and the 1000 page autobiography and the truly long convention speech.

message 2: by Kurt (new) - rated it 1 star

Kurt Olsen Lisa wrote: "My sentiments exactly. I keep hoping it will get better. I think I'm about where you were when you gave up. Also I have insomnia, so am hoping it will help, if nothing else, but there are so many..."

Well, if it helps you with insomnia, at least it will be good for something!