Evie Braithwaite's Reviews > 1984

1984 by George Orwell

bookshelves: classics, dystopian, fiction, science-fiction

Why had I not read this before?

To this day this book is more relevant than ever. The pinnacle of dystopian literature, 1984 mirrors a society reflective of our own. It shows us everything that is wrong with our world, and everything that could go wrong. Nowadays, we have devices which listen in on us, personalised advertisements pop up here there and everywhere. We are controlled by our governments, sometimes in ways we are not consciously aware of. Every day there are new advertisements, marketing and political campaigns shoved in our faces, all designed so we make certain choices and think a certain way. 1984 takes our world and pushes it to the extreme.

This book is so well written. Even during the long passages spewing out chunks of information, I was engaged. This world was at once unsettling but so incredibly interesting. In 1984, Winston, a middle-aged paranoid man, is seemingly the only sane person in a brainwashed world. He is frustrated with the manipulative control the government has over its people. In a world where your own children will not hesitate to betray you, all freedom is gone, pleasures cease to exist, and propaganda is instilled onto the masses. Their government are manipulating not only what media they consume, but also their history; erasing and rewriting the past to further their control.

The idea of Big Brother is horrifying. Every single movement is observed under its omniscient eye. Every single sound is monitored. A mere increase in heartbeat and you’re incriminated. Winston can’t fathom how no one seems to question the excessive surveillance or language manipulation and is determined to uncover the truth.

For me, the most horrifying part is how easily language can be used and manipulated to control populations. By simplifying language, our freedom of thought is whittled down until it’s eventually erased. The idea of living in a world where you are ruled by fear and oppression truly makes my blood run cold. 1984 is a powerful, thought-provoking novel with a message which everyone needs to listen to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1984.

June 20, 2017 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
June 20, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
May 22, 2019 – Started Reading