Debbie's Reviews > The Shifter

The Shifter by Janice Hardy

Feb 23, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, ya
Read in February, 2012

"The Shifter" is a young adult fantasy novel. It's the first book in a series, but it wrapped up nicely at the end while still leaving me interested in reading more. I found the characters engaging and interesting, and the world-building was excellent. A unique culture and setting were vividly described without being obvious about it or slowing the pacing.

The book was a quick read. The suspense was created by potential physical danger to the various characters and by the danger to Nya of being captured or forced to misuse her skill. Nya was presented with several ethical dilemmas, and she had to decide if she'd do things she didn't think were correct in the hopes she could later fix them in time, or if she should let people she cared about suffer. She cared about people, even if she didn't know them personally.

There was a very minor amount of explicit bad language, and a minor amount of "he swore" style bad language. There was no sex. Though Nya had to heal several bad injuries, there wasn't graphic gore. Overall, I'd recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shifter.