Elizabeth McInerney's Reviews > Dementia Reimagined: Building a Life of Joy and Dignity from Beginning to End

Dementia Reimagined by Tia Powell

A valuable read for anyone dealing with a loved one with dementia or Alzheimers, or for anyone contemplating a future with either of these conditions. The book starts off with a history of institutionalized care for the mentally ill, which many years ago, included elders with dementia. At first, I found myself frustrated with the inclusion of this and wanted the book to get on with today, but it became clear further on that the past informs the present.

Together, my husband and I have 3 parents currently living with dementia or Alzheimers. The details presented in this book paint an accurate portrait of our experiences. The author presents an update into Alzheimers research and an explanation for why progress towards a cure has been so slow.

I listened to the audio version of this book. The first and last chapters are read by the author, with the middle chapters read by someone else. I intensly disliked hearing the author read her book, as she way over dramatized her points. I had such a problem with this that I wondered if I could actually get through the audio version, but stuck with it because I had paid for it! Luckily, unexpected relief came when another voice took over.

The book is well written and thoughtful. Overall, I enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dementia Reimagined.

May 21, 2019 – Started Reading