Caedy Eries's Reviews > Dawn of the Dreadfuls

bookshelves: 2012-challenge, kindle, library, zombies

Title: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls
Author: Steve Hockensmith
Rating: 4/5

Summary: This book takes place four years before Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, it is the birth of a heroine. The Bennet sisters are enjoying their peaceful life in the English countryside, idle days filled with reading, gardening and daydreaming about future husbands. Then, at a funeral at the local perish changes everything when things take a rather unfortunate turn, and before the remainder of the corpses buried in the cemetery can begin to rise from the earth, there is one family that can stop them.

Elizabeth Bennet’s evolution from a naïve young teenager into a savage slayer of the undead begins, training beneath Master Hawksworth and Dr. Keckilpenny who wishes to use science instead of violence to rid the world of the undead problem.

Review: I’ve heard many things about Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, and as I’ve read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, I could not resist seeing what Steve Hockensmith had done to this timeless classic by adding the influence of the shambling, brain consuming undead. I loved reading this prequel, and now I will have to get my hands on Pride and Prejudice and Zombies to read what has become of Elizabeth Bennet and her siblings.

I did however, find myself missing Mr. Darcy a bit, but there were plenty of characters to fawn over and delight in. Some of them had me laughing quite a bit throughout the story. This story is quite humorous, and it made going out at night or even in the predawn hours a bit more creepy, considering that I tend to walk by a large open area, and then past heavily wooded areas that would be perfect for a zombie to come shambling out of! I need to read PPZ now and further follow the Bennet sisters in their quest to rid the world of the undead.

If you have any questions, comments or recommendations you can contact me at simplicity.kindreth@gmail.com
My reviews can be found here:
Confessions of a Bibliophile
Idle Musings and Random Things
Cae's Smashwords Review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dawn of the Dreadfuls.

February 23, 2012 – Started Reading