Jeff Verthein's Reviews > Live from New York: An Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live

Live from New York by James Andrew Miller

M 50x66
Feb 23, 2012

liked it
Read in February, 2012

Understandbly the book dwells upon the first cast from the show. I am the same age as the show. I remember begging my mother to let me stay up in case the Coneheads were on, and we still love to say "Landshark" when we visit ceratin family memebers, but I am not old enough to attach any cultural cache to that era. Lorne Micheals is not a celebriy to me. It comes through loud and clear why the show was (is?) as important as these authors make it out to be, and sex and drugs are naturally juicy topics, but for me the cast(s) that addicted me and my group of friend was the late 80's into the early 90's, and I so desperately wished there were more funny anecdotes from those years. More gossip, more reminicing, less determination to document the (e.g.) firing of Nora Dunn or the hiring process of (e.g.) Mike Meyers. In the end, what I found most valuable about this book is that I came to view SNL as a hyper version of the rest of corporate world, and the highs and lows described page after page added insight into the people I've worked with, and management styles, and situations I've gone through. While a cast member may lament that they aged 15 years by working in that pressure cooker for 7, I took many insights away from this juiced version of my own dull world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Live from New York.

08/04/2016 marked as: read